Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Smoking Cigarettes-Quitting for good

I am a Mom of 3 wonderful children and smoked cigarettes for 27 years. I had tried to quit many times in my thirties but did not fully get there. I was a pack and a half day smoker and my children always begged me to quit.

I quit smoking, finally, at age 41. Why? Mostly because I was scared and because I saw what it had done to my Mother who is currently suffering from stage 4 COPD.

One day, I got a cold then Bronchitis, then I just quit! How do I remain done? Through my prayers to Jesus! He is the one that has lifted this horrific habit from me. It was not by my will alone.

Many say they cannot quit while others say they do not want to (LIE). All smokers wished they had never started but as time goes on, well, the cigarette becomes that friend of yours that comforts you even though you really do not like them.

You have to be in a place where your either scared out of your mind (which you should be) or where you are done trying to control everything! I know that being out of control is uncomfortable BUT you are really not in control when you are smoking because the cigs have YOU!

Here are some pointer for quitting smoking:


  1. Don't set a date! Date setting does not work because it causes anxiety/dread, Just do it!
  2. PRAY to our Father in Heaven that He alone can take this addiction away from you (He really can). 
  3. Find two new hobbies. I decided to bead and bake cupcakes. Sounds funny but it works.
  4. Rest-be kind to yourself and sleep.
  5. Tell your family and friends to be kind to you.
  6. You can use the Nicotine patches BUT follow them to a tee! 
  7. Make sure if you have people that smoke around you to STOP SMOKING AROUND YOU!
After a few hours you will already be healing your body. After a week food will taste better. After a month you will be able to take deep breathes again. After 2 months or so you will stop thinking about cigarettes.

You have to stop smoking, you know this. It will kill you. My generation was the last generation to think that it was cool and it did nothing to you. We were wrong. Now we are in our forties and our bodies are falling apart because of it!

LUNG CANCER-BRONCHITIS-EMPHYSEMA- COPD-MOUTH CANCER-THROAT CANCER
Image Detail

This is what you have to look forward to if you do not quit. This is an addiction like alcohol without the altering of the brain. You will need to take it one day at a time. 

Lastly, when you do quit, which I am sure you will, you need to think of yourself as a non-smoker not an ex-smoker. Why? Because es-smokers can go back to it at any given time. Non-smokers never pick it up again!

God bless you on your journey! 
Rebecca Stephan- NON-SMOKER

1 comment: