Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Victory Over Anxiety

I was watching a video with Dr. Charles Stanley about Victory over Anxiety and let me tell you that this is the best video I have ever seen and I am so prayerful.

I, today, gave ALL of my anxiety to God. I learned a few things from the video below and I encourage you to watch and apply it to your life if you are like me. Before I share what I learned I will briefly share what I endured (past tense).

My anxiety/panic attacks started when I was 17 years old. Back then I had no clue why I would be with friends driving into the mountains (Seattle) and all of the sudden I could not breathe. I was later diagnosed with Asthma which I did not have.

Later in life in got much worse. Not so much in my twenties but it hit me hard in my thirties. I would literally think that I was dying. I would have them (Panic attacks and anxiety attacks) quite often, After our twin daughters died I went on Paxil for the second time. After I lost my teeth and I started to gain weight it all seem to get worse on or off Paxil.

I could not get on a plane without taking Valium nor could I drive in the snow. Many times I would be just sitting with the family watching TV and I would just get this rush of panic.I thought, "This must be a chemical imbalance in my head". So, I took more and more Valium to suppress these feelings of despair.

In 2008 I got baptized and I thought that this would be healed but I really did not pray faithfully. I figured this out today as I watched 'Victory over Anxiety'. I am making a full-hearted statement here:

I, Rebecca Stephan, will give all my worries to the Lord Jesus Christ. I will no longer try to control my brain, body, surroundings, or anything else that I feel that I am actually out of control. I will not worry about my children when I die because when I die God will watch and lead them. I will find true peace and joy with Jesus and trust Him 100%.

Father, lift this anxiety and panic from me for it is not healthy, good for me, and it is a sin because I know that You are the one in control, not me. from this day forward I will call upon You and obey Your Word. Thank You for being there for me all of my life. You are an awesome Father and all of what I am and will be is and will be for You!

In Jesus name, AMEN

_________________________________________________________________________

So, What did I learn today? 

We CAN control our emotions or we can let it control us!


Jesus tells us not to be anxious for nothing.

Anxiety=Uncertainty

That my biggest anxiety lately has been my health, death, and my children being without me.

Anxiety is being distracted or pulled apart. (Feeling of dread)

Concern and anxiety are different.

Anxiety is the lack of control.

Anxiety affects our whole body not just our mind.

Medication just suppresses the anxiety and does not deal with it.

Anxiety is NOT from God.

Anxiety should not last long.

People get physically sick from anxiety and the people around you are affected.

Reasons to avoid Anxiety:

It is against scripture and it has a negative affect on our life.
Divides our mind, slows us down, affects our relationships, leads us to unwise decisions, steals our peace and joy, and wastes our time and energy.

WHEN ANXIETY CLEARS UP OUR HEALTH CLEARS UP!


What does God say about anxiety?



Philippians 4:4-7

New King James Version (NKJV)
Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!
Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.



Bring your anxiety to God in prayer. Thank Him for all that He has done and TRUST that He will do what He said He was going to do which is to bring you peace.



Acts 18:9-10

New King James Version (NKJV)
Now the Lord spoke to Paul in the night by a vision, “Do not be afraid, but speak, and do not keep silent; 10 for I am with you, and no one will attack you to hurt you; for I have many people in this city.”


Paul was in prison at this time and could have had many things to freak out (anxiety) about!

THREE-FOLD Conviction
God loves you unconditionally
He wants to help you!
He CAN help you!

ANXIETY IS A FAITH BATTLE- Either you believe that God can or you believe He can't help you.

Surrender and pray!
God Bless, Rebecca Stephan
PS. I will let you know how everything goes!





5 comments:

  1. After I watched this, I got up, took a shower, put on my face and came back to write this blog. For someone who has anxiety they would have just went back to bed like I do all of the time.

    My husband asked me the other day "What do you all day?" I could not give him an answer but the answer was worry and sleep.

    I really hope this helps someone out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. June 13, 2012

    The Secret of Contentment

    Read | Philippians 4:4-13

    In today's reading, the apostle Paul says he has learned the secret of experiencing contentment in all circumstances, good or bad. Does it surprise you that he wrote this when he was in prison, unsure of his future?

    We're often discontent even when all is going well. Consequently, we wonder how it's possible to be truly content during our most difficult trials, especially when there's no end in sight. So what is genuine contentment? Paul is speaking of a freedom from worry and frustration about everything in life--even unfulfilled desires.

    It's usually when we cannot control or change our situation that we feel discontentment. As long as our satisfaction depends on whether certain things actually work out, we'll allow circumstances to cheat us out of peace. I'm not saying there's some spiritual stage where you will never again experience anxiety or frustration. But what matters is how we respond when those feelings grip us.

    This is something that the apostle had to learn. Paul endured amazing suffering, from shipwrecks and hunger to unjust imprisonment and beatings (2 Cor. 11:24-30). He had gone through countless situations that were uncertain, extraordinarily painful, and seemingly hopeless. But he finally discovered that contentment could not be dependent upon his circumstances.

    How do you respond when circumstances are out of your control? Do you get angry? Do you try to escape? Does despair make you want to give up? Paul chose to give his anxieties to Jesus in exchange for peace that "surpasses all comprehension" (Phil. 4:7). That same peace is available to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Friends,
    Since I wrote this I have been anxiety free! Praise the Lord in His greatness! Thank you Jesus, Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wondered if you are still anxiety free. I am really working on this, refusing to take anything for it, but it seems to go away, for long periods even, and then pop up again. Would love to hear where you are at now a year out from this post. Thanks! Jeannine

      Delete
  4. You are not alone Rebecca, I've built snowballs of worry and anxiety that could squash whole cities! This video is wonderful. Solitude with the Lord every night is the solution. Just let it go. Tough to do! My anxieties are typically job, new boss and stress related but the core of these is money and being able to provide for my family. Taxes, house payments and the uncertainty of tomorrow was enough for plenty of sleep loss over the years. Yet, I'm still here, nobody was killed and I kick myself for all the energy that was robbed and all the joy in the days of worry that was stolen. When I find myself slipping I go to 33:30 in this video so I can hear Dr. Stanley say "If you give all your anxiety to him, God will cause everything to work for your good". Stay well and God bless and remember...If I stand with Him, who can be against me?

    ReplyDelete